Annons:
Etiketterbeteendehälsaskötsel
Läst 636 ggr
Grodan
6/16/07, 2:56 AM

HELP! (pygmémice)

(Translation of the Swedish thread HJÄLP! (pygmémöss) #0 made by annzo81)

I got two African Pygmé Mice. Bought them not long ago and was told it´s two does/females. Today, when I was going to give them fresh water, one of them comes out of the house/nest and look badly wounded - a wound on the head and no fur on the back! The other just had a tine litle wound on the back so I thought I have to separete them. This happend over night because yesterday they where all right!

When I lifted one of the house in the terrarium I found a quite grown baby (about 2 weeks), so obvious it´s not two does I got. I still want to separete the parents but I dont know which one is the mother, I´ve looked but can not see any differens.

Can anyone tell me if this with the fur is of any guidance? Is it usuall that the doe gets agressiv against the male or what? They lays in the same house with the baby all the time and has never been fighting before…

❤️ Värd 4 mus-ifokus - Välkommen!   <:3 }~~~ ( http://gerodean.se/ecards ) ❤️

Annons:
Angelus_Noctis
6/16/07, 12:26 PM

Grodan thank you for translation! Glad

Pygmy mice are very sensitive when you disturb them. So if you bouhgt them not long ago, it may be that they fight about a new rank order after murmurs you my haven´t noticed.
Another factor may be proteins. How do you feed them? They need a lot of animalbased protein. If they don´t get enough they tend to get aggressive.
Or maybe water was down at this day? This can also be an important factor.

Something to pygmy mice in general: Two mice are too few that they feel fine. You should have a dozen or more. It´s nearer to their natural behavior and their demands concerning warmth.
Grodan told me, you keep them in a 90cm terrarium. If it´s about 90x50x50c,m it should be enough for a dozen mice.

For sexing the mice take them in a transparent pet box or a glass. So you can watch their bottom side easyly. In this relaxed condition you can see the testicles very good.
If their is no difference at all, you may have two females and bought a pregnant female. So if the litter is about two weeks, you must have bought them 5 weeks ago or later.

Hope this will help you!

Angelus

Grodan
6/16/07, 9:01 PM

Dozen? 12? sooooooo many?? Förvånad

Angelus_Noctis
6/16/07, 11:06 PM

Yes, they should be 12 or more. It´s easy to explain. Pygme Mice are about 5cm long without tail and weight about 10g. So the have to eat a lot to hold the temperature of the body. To reduce the amount of food and to save energy they have nests together and sleep very tight to each other. This effect works the better the more individuals they are. And so they are used to bigger groups.
My group also slept togehter and they were sometimes about 40 mice and more.
When you take the hand on the ground, you´ll always find where the nest under the surface because of the warmth. So you can see the loss of energy and can guess what amount of energy they need to stay warm. And for two mice it´s uncomfortable because from nature they are used to be more individuals and they miss the warmth of the others.

When she has separated the two, I need some further information to explane how to integrate them best and guide her through integration. Maybe she can write here in English and I can ask her?
I read the answers but I anderstand too few to help effectively. I´m very sorry… Generad

Angelus

Grodan
6/17/07, 12:19 AM

I have told her that she should write in English here, because your the expert on Exotic Mice! Kyss

Upp till toppen
Annons: